Thursday, January 19, 2012

Miami OCR

I am in Miami for the Olympic Classes Regatta. Racing runs January 23-28.

Follow results here.

read more...Thursday, January 19
Today was my first day back on the water since NQRs in October. It was good to get back on the water, but I was a little rusty in spots. I sailed with the Canadian Team, as well as sailors from the US, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, and South America. I will train for the next few days, and then take Sunday off before racing starts on Monday.

Friday, January 20
Today we had another 3 hour session in a medium easterly with chop. There were big variations in pressure and direction, making for some very tricky sailing. I started to get the feel for the timing on the start line back today, and was really happy with my ability to hold marginal lanes in the sloppy conditions. Training continues tomorrow.

Saturday, January 21
This morning we showed up at the sailing centre early to get used to the regatta schedule, but the wind did not cooperate. Finally around 2:30 the wind filled in, and I had a short session working on light air boat handling. Tomorrow is registration and I will make sure all my gear is ready to go. Racing begins on Monday.

Monday, January 23
Today was the first day of racing. In the first race I did a nice job of creating a hole below me on the line, and had a solid start. After a few minutes, I lost my lane and tacked out, ducking many boats that held on starboard. I sailed into the middle of the course, and came back across on starboard in a nice lane and pressure, and crossed everyone on the left. I rounded the weather mark 1st, but quickly lost three boats with a big chunk of weeds on my rudder. I rounded the leeward mark 5, passed one boat on the next beat, and lost a couple more to finish 6. In the second race I approached the line too late and did not find a good spot. I was able to get clear to the right hand side of the course, and rounded the weather mark around 15. I had a good first run, passing boats, and gaining on the boats ahead. I rounded the second weather mark 9, but lost a couple on the last run to finish 11. After two races I am in 14th. Racing continues tomorrow with another 2 races scheduled.
Weather: 6-12 knots, SE, 26 degrees, sunny, short chop

Tuesday, January 24
Today we had similar conditions to yesterday, but with slightly less wind. In the first race I was near the front of the fleet for most of the first beat, but made a mistake going left at the top, and fell out of the pressure. I rounded in the mid twenties, and was unable to make any gains. In the second race I did not have a good start. I made some gains on the first beat, and sailed a good first run, but was not able to connect it to a good second beat, and finished 23.

Wednesday, January 25
Today's conditions were quite similar to Monday's conditions. In the first race I had a decent start, but was only in the teens at the first mark. I lost a bit on the second run and finished 17. In the last race I had a better start, and was able to get clear to the right side on the first beat and was near the front for the whole race, finishing 8th. After 6 races I am in 33, good enough to qualify for gold fleet.

Thursday, January 26
Today was the first day of gold fleet. Today the wind was slightly more southerly (around 150), 10-13 knots. In the first race I had a good start, but tacked a few too many times and rounded the weather mark around 30. I had a good first run, but did not go the right way on the second beat and lost a few boats to finish 23. In the second race I had another good start, but again fell back a bit on the first beat and rounded the weather mark in the deep teens. I lost a few boats throughout to finish 24. Tomorrow is the last day of fleet racing, with medal races on Saturday.

Friday, January 27
Today was the last day of fleet racing. When we first got out it was a light SW which quickly went left and built, peaking near 18 knots by the time we finished our second race. In the first race I had a decent start, but played up the wrong side of the first beat and rounded near 20. I had a good run relative to the boats around me, but there was more pressure on the other side of the run and I lost a few boats overall. I was slow out of the bottom mark, and had a tough time getting anything back and finished 31. In the second race I had a good start, but tacked a couple too many times on the first beat, and got stuck out above the port tack layline and rounded the top mark near the back. I had a good first run and connected it into a decent lane from the leeward mark and passed boats throughout the race to finish 23.

I finished 29th overall in the event. It wasn't a great result, but at the same time I am not too disappointed since I hadn't sailed since October. I was a little off the pace a few times, but overall I am happy with how I sailed, particularly with my starting towards the end of the week. I am looking forward to heading back down to Florida for the Midwinters in Clearwater at the end of February.